Monday, February 8, 2010

"wings"

I've tried making hot wings a variety of times and have never come even remotely close to anything good. They always "looked" easy to me, but I could never turn out easy.

After researching, or latching mostly onto to my friend Camille's research (she is a the google queen and I was reading as fast as she was finding AND reading) I found what to me was the most perfect "way" to make them!

First of all, I like boneless. All those bones make an already messy eating experience just so much work. So, I took a 2lb bag of chicken strips and put them on a cookie sheet and blotted them. Then I mixed this:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1-2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
(I'm an eyeballer with spices, so these are approximate)

in a gallon sized plastic bag and add chicken pieces. Seal and toss to coat.

THEN the big secret here is to do this:

Pour the chicken pieces and excess flour onto a baking sheet and spread evenly. Allow the chicken to sit on the floured baking sheet to dry out for about 1 hour. This step is crucial!
Preheat fryer or a large stockpot filled halfway with vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
Add chicken to hot oil and fry until cooked through and crispy, about 10 to 13 minutes.

Then the sauce, here is what I used. So many sauces seem to just focus on "hot". I like a little kick to be sure, but I really like is layers of flavor. This one did it for me, I do think next time I will decrease the worchestershire sauce and increase everything else....but really, it was good and pretty darn close to perfect. Thanks Camille!!

STICKY FINGERS LIKE WINGER'S

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. hot sauce (more or less as desired)
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar

In a saucepan over low heat, combine all ingredients. Warm sauce, stirring occasionally

Unfortunately I took no pictures. I tend to forget to do this, the 3 year old on my leg saying, "MOM, are they done NOW!" may have had something to do with this. We're going to go with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment